What They're Saying About Diamond Dollars...
Diamond Dollars: The Economics of Winning in Baseball
Available on Amazon
Available on Amazon
"Diamond Dollars provides an insightful look at the business of baseball--at the free agent market, team's scouting and player development systems, and how clubs market their brands. The book mixes Vince's business acumen as a top executive at a Fortune 50 company with his passion for the national pastime"
Mark Attanasio, Chairman and Principal Owner, Milwaukee Brewers
"Vince Gennaro shows a profound understanding of the economics of a team's baseball decisions. His analyses of a team's win-revenue relationship, the player development system, and player valuation make for a remarkably innovative examination of the baseball front office model that's just as informative for a baseball executive as for a fan"
Chris Antonetti, President of Baseball Operations, Cleveland Indians
"Diamond Dollars offers up exciting and stimulating new ideas about the business of baseball. It provides a set of metrics for decisions that have typically been a "gut feeling" for many organizations. I think teams should make this required reading for everyone in their organizations"
Jim Beattie, former General Manager, Baltimore Orioles and Montreal Expos
Diamond Dollars is a fresh, provocative, insightful, and analytical look at the business of baseball by author Vince Gennaro, a consultant to MLB teams. Gennaro delves deep and addresses some key questions that affect how teams make decisions, how they assemble their roster, and ultimately, their bottom line:
• How does winning affect revenue for each team?
• How much value does a berth in the postseason generate for the Red Sox or Yankees?
• What is the Yankees marginal revenue vs. the marginal cost of winning?
• What is the economic value of the highly productive Twins farm system?
• Why is a player's value "situational," depending on the competitiveness of his team and the market in which he plays?
• How can we quantify Derek Jeter's "marquee value" to the New York Yankees?
• What is the relative cost of developing talent vs. buying it in the free agent market?
• What is the dollar value of the Cubs' fans loyalty to their beloved team?
• How have the Red Sox, Cubs, and Yankees built their team brand?
Diamond Dollars was originally published by Maple Street Press and has been reprinted by Diamond Analytics.
- Indexing Inflation: Remedy or Malady?, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia Business Review, March 1975
- Field of Dreamers: Tales from Baseball Fantasy Camp, Authorhouse, 2003
- The Hidden Value of Glovework, The Baseball Research Journal, Vol. 39 Number 1 Summer 2010
Vince Gennaro © 2020